We're hoping that the weather cooperates for the Hunter Pace on Sun but we'll be running rain or shine. So if the weather doesn't look great, put on your rain gear and imagine that you're hunting in Ireland ;) They're saying scattered showers and hopefully it will miss up. Keep in mind our footing holds up pretty well even with rain.
Be sure to scroll down for rules and reminders, course map and schedule for those who pre-entererd.
For those who have not been to the farm before here's a link for directions. Please keep in mind that the farm map was for our recent horse trials not for the Hunter Pace. Day parking will be in the front field please park facing the fence as it makes for more room. Those who have stalls will park down by the stabling barns but keep in mind that the track of the course does go through that stabling area on the east side.
For those who will be entering on Sun please note the times that entries close and approximate start times. Entry fees are $25 / rider and everyone must sign a release form. For those who pre-entered please let the secretary know that you have been assigned a number already. The secretary will be on the front porch of the house.
Post Entries Close
Approx. Start Time
Hilltoppers (Ideal on the flat)
Trail Riders (leisurely pace)
Below is a brief description of a Hunter Pace and list of Rules and Reminders that you may want to review before coming on Sun.
What is a Hunter Pace?
The simple answer, a hunter pace is a nice long enjoyable trail ride with family or friends. Now if you want to know how the elusive “idea time” is calculated, well that’s a little more detailed. It goes back to its fox hunting roots where riders had to hack to the hunt. They had to figure out how to get to the hunt on time with a horse that was sufficiently warmed up, but not too tired to hunt. Since the hunts generally started fairly early in the morning daylight was definitely something that riders had to consider as well. We would usually leave as soon as you could safely see where we were going & head out at a brisk trot & with a few canters thrown in where the conditions were good. Obviously if there was a fairly steep down hill or bad footing we would walk. If we planned things right we would be at the “meet” with time to spare & horses ready to hunt.
Hunter paces developed as a friendly competition where riders would go out on a marked course 4 – 5 miles long & ride @ a pace as if hacking to the “meet” and the one closest to the “ideal” time won. The ideal time is usually determined by having someone ride the course at a good “hunter pace” as described above & that becomes the “ideal time’. However, the pace can vary from pace to pace depending on who is riding the course & on what type of horse. I ride the course on two different types of horses and average the time. For those of you who have been coming here over the years know that I ride my courses exactly as explained above. The jumping division is a somewhat faster pace because they end up doing more cantering than the flat divisions. Over the years we have found that many people really don’t care about being competitive and enjoy a more leisurely pace. We have always given the “turtle” award for the slowest team on the course. However, it seemed that the “turtle” award was being contested by many entrants so we have added a new “trail riders” division. This is a more leisurely pace of mostly walking & trotting.
I hope this answers some of your questions.
Rules & Reminders
- Jumping teams must jump or attempt to jump all the fences
- Riders may by pass a fence only after 3 attempts or circles
- The jumps mark the course as well as fence ribbon, arrows and mowed paths. Flat teams should pass closely to the jumps
- All team members must finish the course to be considered for the final placing
- The last team member to cross the finish line is the team’s time. If you are the last member of your team please tell the timer that you are the last rider and your team number
- Riders must wear boots with heels & hard hats
- The warm up is in the dressage rings
- You can get to the warm up by going past the announcers tower & between 2 tall telephone poles & directly down the hill. The pond will be on your left.
- Please use caution when going to and from the warm up; you will be crossing the course at fences # 17, 22, 36, and 37
- Please be prepared to start at your scheduled time
- When passing teams, please do so no faster than a trot & only where is can be done safely
- Only jump flagged obstacles No schooling of fences. Once you have jumped a fence please continue on the course
- Non jumping teams may jump any of the flagged obstacles
- Two minutes have been added to the ‘ideal time’ for the Cider Break which between fences 15 & 16 which is about half way. It will be self serve & there will be a mounting block available.
- At the completion of your rider please put your number in the laundry basket near the canoe jump
- Please stay to the edge of the fields
Have a Great Ride!
Schedule for those who pre-entered ~ I tried to accommodate requests as best as possible.
|Time||#||Div||Rider 1||Horse 1||Rider 2||Horse 2||Rider 3||Horse 3|
|12:00||1||Jumping||Holly Shine||Sam||Lisa Suhrie||Reveal The Star|
|12:03||2||Jumping||Alexandra Flavion||Braggin Rights||Cheyanne Martucci||Bailey's Irish Cream||Ashley Brush||All That Jazz|
|12:06||3||Jumping||Karen Copus||Gabriel||Meredith Borstorff||Smokes Bandit Farbig|
|12:09||4||Jumping||Rachael Cooper||Like a Charm||Rachael Kindler||Charlotte||Nicole Zelenak||Gabby RVM|
|12:12||5||Jumping||Emily Hummel||All American Ladd||Kelly Cooper||Charlie||Kelley Madden||Lavinia-Lena|
|12:15||6||Jumping||Regina Jakacki||Freddie||Krista Child||Simeon|
|12:18||7||Jumping||Taylor Walton||Silver Charm||Allison Deem||Sugar|
|12:21||8||Jumping||Tori Swejk||Juliet||andrea porter||Tommy|
|12:24||9||Jumping||Rachel Cellini||Curious George||Jennifer Minster||Mr. Behrens|
|12:39||16||Jumping||Jenn Gallagher||Bentley||Alli DaShiell||Westward Go|
|12:42||17||Jumping||Emily Moore||Lucy||Tess Haynes||Otis|
|12:45||18||Jumping||Azia Haynes||Shooter||Marissa lucci||Saskia|
|12:48||19||Trail Riders||Kris Dunlap||Danny||Leesia Dailey||Dante's||Jess livengood||Boo|
|12:51||20||Jumping||Jordan smyers||Caesar||Kennedy Sorm||Silver|
|12:57||22||Flat||Joan Word||Josey||Chrissy Preistley||Dewey|
|1:00||23||Flat||Heather Krysty||Maggie Mae||Lauren Krysty||Callie|
|1:03||24||Flat||Chelsea Nau Performance Horses|
|1:06||25||Flat||Chelsea Nau Performance Horses|
|1:09||26||Flat||Chelsea Nau Performance Horses|
|1:12||27||Flat||Chelsea Nau Performance Horses|
|1:15||28||Flat||Megan Smith||Sky's the Limit||Tiphani Beckett||BB Shy Dancer|
|1:24||31||Flat||Krista Child||Drake||Regina Jakacki||Mare|
|1:30||34||Trail Riders||Elizabeth Goldberg||Kingsberry||Kara Jones||Ty||Monicca Bucci||Bindi|
|1:33||35||Trail Riders||Molly Tubbs||Little Romeo||Wendy Campbell||Kings Classic|
|1:36||36||Trail Riders||Barbara Petersen||Alvin||Yvette Petersen||Rosie Mai||Hilda Cook||Tubby|
|1:45||39||Flat||Jeri Close||Dolly||Lizzy McClung||Diesel|