Saturday, May 21, 2011

One Competitors Success Story @ the Winona Horse Trials

Dear Jackie:

Let me be the first to congratulate you on handling the situation with grace and patience. This is not the first horse trials I've been rained out on (you should have seen Hunter's Run in....2009? OMG!), nor will it be the last. Everyone in this sport knows the risks--and these risks are also weather related.

I came hoping to score some USEA points on my Morgan pony, as it is only our second year eventing and he hates water. We thought it would be a piece of cake handling your course due having an option at the water. How ironic that we came away with neither points nor the opportunity to run XC.  However! We did come away with many more valuable things: the perseverance to come to a show nearly five hours away ENTIRELY alone--not a human or equine friend to accompany us; the ability to manager together, snuggled in stall #33, one of the most engaging thunderstorms I have ever been in; handling dressage warm up on wet, slimy grass right next to cross country jumps which are his preferred mode of travel; and running a stadium course with a potential Dorothy and Toto sky nipping at our heels. Indeed, when we were waiting in line, the winds were gathering great momentum and all the ponies were starting to get a bit skittish! Fun, fun, fun!

I will remember this event for the rest of my life--not because I got a clear cross country run or because we place at a fully USEA show (two things I thought I was coming down for) but because I got to spend 30 hours with the best pony in the world, and we learned to rely on each other wholly. For Bronzie that included sleeping ALONE without any home horse nearby. Well, he made fast friends with the mare nearby. For me, that included watching my trailer almost tip right over as I dragged it across the soggy wet grass to avoid getting stuck.  The entire experience, good, bad, and ugly was worth the drive and the cost of the show, and I would do it all again.

I didn't need to write all of this, Jackie, but I wanted you to know that I'll definitely be back next year and will pray that you get some well-deserved, perfect Ohio spring weather. Lord knows you deserve it! Well done, and thanks again...

Barbara martin and Atta Lane Bronzemen (cutest Morgan pony alive!)
PS: Sorry for the typos. Have to grade papers!

No comments:

Post a Comment